Ph.D. Biological Oceanography, Massachusetts Institute of Technology & Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Joint Program, 2016 (expected)
B.A. Biology, Oberlin College, 2009
B.M. Cello Performance, Oberlin Conservatory of Music, 2009
My research interests include population genetics, genomics of non-model species, deep-sea ecology, signatures of natural selection in wild populations, genetic connectivity, ecosystem resilience, and conservation.
I am interested in the shaping and persistence of genetic diversity in populations, specifically with regards to non-equilibrium population dynamics. I’ve recently started a project focusing on the population genomic impact of range expansions in invasive marine species. Additionally, while working in the Shank Lab, I hope to better understand the dynamic relationships between discrete benthic populations and gain insight into the impact of human activities (e.g., bottom trawling and mineral exploitation) on those populations.
I am driven by the desire to better understand the interplay of science and policy in today’s society and plan to build a career at the interface of the two.
- Bors E.K. & S. Solomon (2013) How a nested framework illuminates the challenges of comparative environmental analysis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110 (19): 7531-7532
- Raineault N.A., P.A. Ramey-Balci, T.M. Shank, E.K. Bors, Duman M., Ürkmez D., & S. Tüzün (2013) Exploration of the Anaximander Mountains: Mud Volcanoes, Cold-Seep Communities, and Cold water Corals. Oceanography 26(1) supplement: 30-35
- Bors E.K., A.A Rowden, E.W. Maas, M.R. Clark & T.M. Shank (2012) Patterns of Deep-Sea Genetic Connectivity in the New Zealand Region: Implications for Management of Benthic Ecosystems. PLoS ONE 7(11): e49474. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0049474
- Ma M., E.K. Bors, E.S. Dickinson, M.A. Kwiatkowski, G.L. Sousa, R.P. Henry, C.M. Smith, D.W. Towle, A.E. Christie & L.J. Li (2009) Characterization of the Carcinus maenas neuropeptidome by mass spectrometry and functional genomics. General and Comparative Endocrinology, 161 (3): 320-334
- Ma M., R.B. Chen , G.L. Sousa, E.K. Bors, M.A. Kwiatkowski, C.C Goiney, M.F. Goy, A.E. Christie & L.J. Li (2008) Mass spectral characterization of peptide transmitters/hormones in the nervous system and neuroendocrine organs of the American lobster Homarus americanus. General and Comparative Endocrinology, 156 (2): 395-409